Can Cats Get Sick From Eating Mice ?

Cats are fantastic mousers. That’s why they’ve been used in homes to help prevent insect infestations for generations, if not millennia. Cat instincts are well-suited to responding to mice’s rapid movements, scurrying noises, and darting nature. In your modern home, though, it’s a good idea to prevent your cat from consuming its prey. Mice can be harmful to your cat’s welfare, even though your cat isn’t aware of it.

Cats can get sick from eating mice, so make sure you get rid of any presents they bring you. Mice are disease, bacteria, and parasite carriers. Through eating, chewing, or playing with an infected rodent, your cat will easily acquire either of these diseases. Eating a mouse that has been exposed to pesticide can cause secondary poisoning in cats, which can be fatal.

It’s not necessary to prevent your cat from hunting. It should not, however, be allowed to play with or consume any of the rodents it kills. Mice are infested with fleas, in addition to a slew of internal parasites including pinworms and tapeworms. Fleas can carry various diseases and parasites. As a result, even though your cat doesn’t eat the mouse, the carcass poses a danger, so get rid of it as early as possible.

Will Cats Get Sick From Eating Mice?


Mice are known to bear up to 35 different diseases, all of which can be transmitted even after death. If your cat successfully captures its prey in your home, it can become infected with these pathogens.

Your cat could show signs in as little as a few hours, depending on what the mouse was carrying, whether it was a poison or a disease. After the mouse has died, this becomes much more risky. Certain parasites and bacteria will thrive on the corpse as it decomposes, or they may look for a new host.

I case your cat does not eat it right away, it will play with it. If you knock it around your building, the disease will spread and members of your family will become ill. The cat will, at the very least, be transmitting parasites, bacteria, and possibly pesticides in its play area. Even if the mouse is removed, the cat will remain in these areas and can become infected.

As a result, it’s important to get rid of any dead mice as soon as possible. The good news is that cats are proud hunters. Yours would almost certainly carry its prey right up to your knees.

Is Eating Mice Safe For Cats?


Mice are naturally hunted by cats in both domestic and wild environments. They are ideal predators for these rats, and mice are the perfect prey. As a result, it seems absurd to believe that your cat would be in danger if he eats a rodent. Surely, the digestive system is well-equipped to deal with this prey.

Mice are dangerous to cats not because of what they wear, but because of what they carry. A parasite-free mouse that has been raised in a clean environment would be a nutritious meal for your pet. There is nothing about the genetics of a mouse that makes it poisonous or dangerous to felines in any way.

Mice, like other rodents, prefer to spend their time in filthy environments. They scavenge garbage, feces, and moist areas where bacteria and fungi grow. They eat almost everything and are targeted by pesticides used by homeowners. Some mice will survive exposure to these toxins, at least in the short term, since they are hardy animals.

This enables them to transport toxins and pathogens on their bodies:

mouth, fur, skin, and feet.

A cat ingests these contagions as it follows its normal instinct and snatches up a mouse.

At the very least, playing with the mouse for a long time raises the likelihood of:

  • Bacteria causing harm to the cat’s mouth
  • Transferring parasites to the cat’s hair or skin
  • The pesticide is ingested or inhaled by the cat

To sum it up:

With that in mind, if you have a cat in the house and can’t keep it away from rodents, it’s best to avoid using poison as a pest control tool. Spring or electricity-powered traps are much better to keep around your pets while still deterring intruders.